Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Above and beyond

Wow, I've actually exceded my 30 posts in 30 days goal. LOL

The really funny thing is that I actually had a real topic for this post you're reading now! So here it goes...

I finally feel again that things are on an upswing. I don't want to jinx myself, and my heart aches for friends in not-so-good head spaces right now, but I'm doing ok and it feels good. I'm thankful for what I have - friends, family, job, home... basically for the good and wonderful people around me, many of whom I'll see tomorrow night and be able to share an extremely important part of myself with them.

Yes, it's just a meal. But it's more than that. It's my heritage. It's my beyond amazingly wonderful mother, and also her parents. It's growing up with incredible, intelligent and kind sisters. It's the memory of being a part of a loving family that gathered amidst way too much food that was out of this world delicious and eating so much that you get punch drunk on being so sated.

This is the meal that means so much to me, that I excitedly started preparing it today. I can't wait to share it with those I love and admire, as it feels like they can take a part of me inside themselves and I can be closer to their hearts, if only for an evening.

Each time I make this meal that my mom taught me, it tastes a bit different. Last time was so over the top good, that I'm seriously preparing myself for disappointment this time- especially since there will be a fair number of people tasting this for their first time. But still, those who've tried it in the past say that it's one of their favorite meals. (Or at least a favorite that's prepared by me! LOL)

Also, each time I make this meal, it is special to me. The love and meaning behind it do not diminish in the slightest just because I've made it "yet again." It makes me feel like the book, "Like Water for Chocolate" - has anyone else heard of it or love it as much as I do? The movie version is actually really decent, too - lots of narration that keeps the book alive.

At any rate, I digress. LOL

So, I've gone above and beyond my 30 posts this month, the family of my youth went above and beyond what anyone could hope for in a loving upbringing, and I feel like this meal is above and beyond just food - even if it all gets burnt to shit. LOL For all those I'm making it, or who've been invited, they're each special to me. I love; I admire; I appreciate these people. It's no wonder the guest list keeps growing. And for all that these people mean to me, I share of myself and- really- I share my people the best way I know how.

Sounds corny, I know. But hell- I'm the cook. heh heh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, I love the fact that I get to be a part of tomorrow night, I love the fact that I needed something and you just gave it to me and for that thank you...